Monday, August 22, 2011

Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars

As you may already know
{or maybe not}
I like to cook, bake or
whatever you call
'messing around in the kitchen.'



Yes that actually happened.
If you are me... {you might need one two eggs for this recipe}

I typically don't cook just for myself
because I find I don't eat it all
&& it goes in the trash. ugh.

So this leaves me
cooking for others I care about.
--which I don't mind at all.

One of my favorites
really likes toffee.
so after much research online
I found a recipe for
Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars.

C A U T I O N : {These things are deadly}

You will need:



  • No-Stick Cooking Spray




  • 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour




  • 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar




  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine




  • 1 large egg, slightly beaten




  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided


  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts {I left these out}




  • 1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk




  • 1 (8 ounce) package toffee baking bits, divided {I used almost 2 packages}




  • A couple Heath bars for toppings. {I only used 1}




  •                               
                                     First preheat your oven to 350 degrees, &&
                              spray a 9x13'' pan with your non-stick cooking spray.
                            In a large bowl you'll need to mix
                                   2 1/2 cups flour + 2/3 cups {packed} brown sugar

                                                       Cut in the 3/4 cup butter


                                   Then mix the butter till it resembles coarse crumbs.

                             
                                                             Add your 1 egg & stir
                                               {I used a mixer for this step
                                                     to make sure I got everything mixed up well}


          Stir in 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
                                 & nuts {if you prefer, I didn't}
                              I added more toffee bits instead
                                          




                Now it's time to make the crust--
                         Reserve 1 1/2 cups mixture for the topping
                    && press the remaining crumb coat
                                    into the bottom of your pan.



                    Bake the crust for 10 minutes
                                      & clean up your mess in the meantime.

                                         When your crust is done
            add the whole 8 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
                        to the top


                                   Be sure to spread it around
                                                   to get an even coat


                It's time to add your toffee bits
                           && reserve 1/4 cup for the topping
                  {I opened my new bag of toffee bits for this part
                           I also added a few more toffee bits from the other bag}


                                            Sprinkle the rest of your
                                    crumb mixture on top of the toffee


                  Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top
                       {I didn't want it super chocolatey so I only added 1/3 cup}

                                 Look at these wonderful
                  sugary, fattening layers!



                  It's oven time!
                        Bake your toffee bars for 25-30 minutes
                                   or until golden brown.
                          && use the rest of your 1/4 cup toffee bits to the top
                             when done baking.


                                   Let these babies cool before cutting - I put mine in the freezer.
                      && remember try not to eat too much!
                                       They incredibly rich, sweet && yummy.
                        {I also added a mashed up heath bar
                                                            to the top for decoration}




    MMMMMMM........

    No comments:

    Post a Comment