Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Failed Tutorial: Elmers Glue Art

Okay,
So this project looked way cooler on
           pinterest,
than what mine turned out to be.

{I guess that's why I blog right..
so you don't make my same mistakes?!}

I'm kinda sad. Oh well :)

...anyways!
Elmers glue art.
Pretty self explainatory...

MATERIALS:
* Canvas
* Elmers Glue
* Paint {I used spray paint... at first}

To start:
     I drew lightly with pencil
        what I wanted to outline in glue.
{I decided to write
"Do more of what makes you happy"
{I would not advise doing a quote... }
       & also a seperate design}

I messed up a couple times
               &&  lightly erased the lines.
{I didn't worry about them too much
        because I knew I'd paint over them}

After your done drawing
outline everything in glue.



HERE'S WHERE I MESSED UP:
- Keep in mind the amount of glue that you
squeeze matters... I tried to put a consistent amount
out... but when it dried... it was still squiggly :(

Now..
being the problem solver that I am...
I figured I could just put another coat of glue on everything
to even out the lines..
                  Looks good right?
                               WRONG.

      DO NOT DO WHAT I DID.
                    {it did not help...}

So after two coats of glue,
my quote was still hard to read.
       {Boooo... What now?!}

   Well I needed to paint it
so maybe that might help
        my quote stand out more.
&& not look so messy.

Attempted the spray paint.
            ...It was terrible.
Didn't spray right, wasn't even working,
didn't cover my pencil lines...
         {You've gotta be kidding me right?!}

PART 2:
After deciding Elmers glue wasn't going to be the end of me,
&& taking a couple day's break from this horrific project,
                     I was ready to conquer this canvas.

MATERIALS II:
* Paint
* Paint brush or roller {I used a roller}
* Paint thinner {Optional, I used it}
* Small cup for mixing


Okay taking this slow...
      Paint the canvas, Easy enough right?

...Two coats of paint later,
the design looks good...
but my quote is still an
              Epic Fail.

{Maybe hanging it on my wall will make it look better...}
                           AKA: Can this project get any worse?!


Can you even see that...
                 be honest.
{"Barely"
           -Yeah that's what I thought.
                            it's in "high contrast" too... }

      By this time
I'm literally cussing at my wall.
-I guess not every project is as easy as it seems,
&& "Elmers glue on canvas"
                  is terribly decieving.

Awesome.
I have a 24x36'' canvas
           that looks like nothing

SHARPIES!
{Sharpies fix everything}

Armed with a bold tipped sharpie,
           I'm determined to slay this Elmer's art.
{or at least make it stand out for gosh sakes}

An hour later I'm done outlining
          "Do More"
&& my sharpie dies.
I'm uber thrilled to make
another trip to the store
for this f***ing stupid project.
                    ...UGH!

{To be completely honest:
               I even hate blogging about this...
        that's why it's taken me so long to post!}

Okay.
Four. Count em... 4. Four. IV.
sharpies later along with
                  five long hours...
It's donezo...
                Boom.


The project from hell is
      put to the ultimate test
{to be hung on the wall and look decent}


Eh... Meh... Sure... Maybe... Pushing it...
                              ...Nope.
a;slkdjf;laskjdf;lakdsjfadsf;
                                     a;sldkjf;aldsareyqw
               [eur32809734201
324rw[0efuW'SM c"wpoef
              ASD;FUWOP FA
  SDFAJFG!!!!!!!!!

Maybe there will be a
Part Three
               someday,
where I wash the whole canvas
                abstract style
with a light lime/yellow green
that's accented in my room.

Or maybe
I just paint my whole wall in my room
so the painting finally stands out.

FFF this.

 Elmer's Glue = 1
                              Chelsi = 0









7 comments:

  1. I think you're suppose to write with the glue and then paint the canvas a color, then peel the glue off....you can paint the letters or leave 'em white.

    I do really like how yours was black lettering...and a cool font :) You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...mine is doing the same thing. That is why I googled this situation...ugh...My glue has almost magically disappeared into the canvas. I haven't put the paint on yet because I was wondering if I needed another layer of the glue. I agree that Pinterest makes it looks so pretty and seriously embossed. Not mine. Thanks for the tut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I wanted the glue to like stand out from the canvas and then I was going to water color in between the glue lines but I can't even tell where they are now.

      Delete
    2. ME TOO. I wanted the glue to like stand out from the canvas and then I was going to water color in between the glue lines but I can't even tell where they are now.

      Delete
  3. So glad I found your blog!!! I get super uber frustrated when these PInterest things don't work out!!

    All the time and money we put into something that I think would make wonderful Christmas gifts, and to find out after a couple days or maybe even a week, it doesn't turn out like the picture; super bummer....Thanks for your delightful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and found myself laughing that at least I wasn't the only one that had problems with it. My problem was that the glue dried FLAT. REAAALLY. None of the pinterest pics look like that...?? I eventually found some other glue that worked much better. Give me a week or so to finish it, and I'll post on my blog at http://daynastangles.blogspot.ca/ ...but for now, it's still a frustration in progress. LOL at all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if putting gesso on the canvas would stop the glue from disappearing. I tried making tags for Christmas stockings that used craft glue for the letters , then you covered them with foil....the glue ran like crazy and eventually, so did I!

    ReplyDelete