Friday, August 26, 2011

Crayon Art: A Tutorial

So as you may or may not know
I do a lot of internet
browsing.
stumbling.
&& pinning.

One day I came across a picture of this project
   on Pinterest 
        {my new favorite site}
&& decided I needed to re-create it.

This project was so fun to do
because I {love} creating art
especially when its not super messy
and looks rad when it's done.

Who knew melting crayons on canvas
could be so awesome.

Here is the tutorial for all of you curious ones
have fun & send me a pic when you finish.
I'd love to see your results!

MATERIALS:
* 1 wrap around canvas- I used 22x28'' {I wanted lots of color}

* 1 box crayons- I got the "Jumbo" 120 ct. {didn't use them all but loved the selection}

* hot glue gun -with a couple spare glue sticks

* hair dryer


First unwrap your canvas and crack open your crayons.
then lay them out in the order you want.
{I layed them on my canvas to make sure I had the right amount}



Next glue each one individually onto your canvas
with the name of the color side up
{don't look at how gross my glue gun is...it's been loved}


After you're finished gluing them all on the top of your canvas


Prep your area for some splatter.
{I used plastic garbage bags}
&& plug in your hair dryer



Next take your hairdryer and start melting the wax.
keep the heat on high and the speed on low
so you don't splatter everywhere.
{Like me}


After some trial and error:
I found it best if I put the hairdryer on the paper part
of the crayon and let the wax melt inside

Mold the wax how you want it to look
with the direction of heat
&& let it cool down to finish.

I used my fingers to get the spots that wax wouldn't cover
then melted new wax over my finger spots
{don't worry the wax comes off }


Sweet huh?!


Baby Bella likes Mommy's new painting too
{she's trying to touch it}


Melt Away :)



2 comments:

  1. i will be trying this.
    by. the. way.. it's devyn (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks Devyn!
    You are so awesome miss!
    :)

    ReplyDelete